Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water inside cinder block but not in basement?

Posted by martina_21 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:43

We are remodeling a partial basement. We knew we had some mildew issues on the wall that is completely underground. The builders put a big hole in the cinder block to put an electrical outlet and you can look inside the block to the bottom and see maybe 2 inches of standing water. This was at two different places. We have never had standing water in the basement but we do see the mold. Is it ok for there to be water in the cinder block even if it is not coming into the basement? We have had a lot of rain recently. Also there is a gap where the cinder block meets the concrete floor but we don't see any water coming through there. We thought of just putting on a water proofing paint and sealing up the cracks or is this something that needs attention by digging up the dirt in front. Also there are cracks in the wall and it is bowing a little. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water inside cinder block but not in basement?

Saved the best for last!

Before you go any further with remodeling, investigate and remedy that bulging, which indicates a degree of foundation failure that should be corrected before you hide it and forget it. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspectapedia on foundation bulging

o

Thank you the inspectapedia has a lot of great info. After seeing some pictures of other basment walls our cracks seems minor. If anything I am leaning toward digging out the front to put in some drain tiles - we live on a hill and there is not that much we can do for the water that comes down the yard, we have done everything we can with sloping and grading. I would like to get an expert opinion but I am afraid that companies will say what they need to to sell their product.

o

There are a number of effective methods for waterproofing your basement.

See this GW thread.

On new homes, I always use a bubble membrane and freeflowing fill.

If you're only doing one wall keep in mind that this may not solve the problem. Also, since you're putting in a drain system, you have to provide an outlet for it. It can be trenched out to grade somewhere downhill or brought inside to a sump and pump.

I'd run from any "waterproofer" who wants to sell you an internal system. They do nothing for keeping the water out of your walls or from undermining your footings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here