Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement floor

Posted by toppercrust (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 21:01

we are planning to finish our basement we have a million questions but lets start with the floor.First of all we live in a 1920s decrepit bungalow.The basement concrete floor was poured over an existing floor,big cracks everywhere.There was a bathroom but we demolished and are increasing size.I'd like to tile the new bathroom's floor.We will be removing some concrete to move plumbing.I think we should remove all concrete in proposed bathroom so as to make it solid for tile installation.I would like electric in-floor heating.When we pour the new floor how should i reinforce,and should i make it recessed from rest of basememnt floor so as to leave room for in-floor heating and self leveler?.should the electric mat be layed in selfleveler or can it be laid in concrete? should i use tile-crete instead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement floor

I am by no means a tile expert. I would do the good concrete floor as you outlined, with vapor barrier under it. Then Ditra membrane, then the heating mat, then the tile, each layer with thinset.

o
RE: basement floor

so how far down from existing concrete floor should new concrete floor be to compensate for everything?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here