Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tvguy15

A Guy basement?

tvguy15
17 years ago

Is there such thing as a "guy basement?" Like has anyone made their basement into the ultimate game room, or a music studio, or just a place to smoke cigars? Can you smoke cigars in a basement?

Comments (6)

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

Heres a similar thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you have a man basement?

• georgiapoollover
    17 years ago

I consider our basement a guys basement. It has a bar, movie theater, and billiard room. My hubby loves it. I would imagine if you smoked cigars down in the basement you would have to get an air cleaner...

• tvguy15
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Apparently there are some pretty great man basements after reading the thread posted by jasper 60103. I'm trying to find people with amazing "guy rooms" for a show I'm working on airing on HGTV. My job is to go out and find "man spaces."

I continue to browse through this site, definitely a lot of do-it-your-selfers here.

• fnmroberts
    17 years ago

We once owned an 20's vintage home with a basement finished in the 40's. The whole basement was knotty pine and the main room had a stone wood-burning fireplace.

Yes, it had a full wet bar comelete with a double commercial stainless bar sink. The bar face and stools were leather and the back bar had display shelving and plenty of storage. A large wine cellar and full kitchen were each separate rooms as was a work shop and laundry.

There were large back-lit outdoors scenes of canyon fly fishing and hunters with their fresh kill. It had a projection room with cable operated screen which dropped out of the ceiling on the far side of the main room into a framed theatre approximately 7'wide x 5'high. The main room was approximately 25' x 15'. I'm sure there was once a pool table too based on ceiling lighting.

But, the most manly feature was a firing range. The targets were cable-run to the far end and there was an exhaust port to let the smoke escape. And there was a huge display case for the firearms in the main room.

A contractor had finished the space and his widow and son both came to visit. Unfortunately we moved in 1993 and I don't have any digital photos to share but we really loved that home - the rest of it was filled with unique features too.

• tvguy15
    Original Author
    17 years ago

fnmroberts,

That sounds really great. Especially the firing range! That actually gives the idea of searching for stories for the show. Find man rooms with carnival games/firing ranges in them!

• mcsierra
    17 years ago

This is NOT my house, but Boy do I wish it were....!!!

http://www.flippedbit.net/theater/construction.htm
    After looking at the above link click the Home Theater to see the Final look..

-McSierra

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Theater