Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjewell1

Kids' Basement Bedrooms?

bjewell1
12 years ago

So the house we're planning to build has a master, one other small bedroom, and a den on the main floor. Then there will be 3 large(14x14) bedrooms in the finished walk-out basement. So the bedrooms have large windows. By the time it's finished and we move in, the kids would be 2 and 5. I personally don't see it being an issue putting them in the basement bedrooms. It's safe, they'll be side by side, and I don't think it would be any different than having them on a second floor. But it seems like a lot of people have issues with small children being downstairs. I'm just wondering what other people think? I mean they could share the small bedroom upstairs or something for awhile, but then the bedrooms downstairs would just sit unused. So I guess what I'm asking is would you have a problem with your children being in the basement? If so, why? And also, what age do you think IS a good age for a child to have a basement bedroom? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• worthy
    12 years ago

would you have a problem with your children being in the basement?

Not as long as there are egress windows or doors, CO and smoke dectectors, provision for radon mitigation where necessary and proper dehumidification. But then I'm considered an overprotective hypochondriac.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Worthy-not all basements are dark, moist, caves full of cancer causing agents. Come on.

Bjewell--my daughters both had basement bedrooms ( not a cave, see pic). Not sure I would be comfortable having them that far away that young, but I would when they are older. Definitely check for radon. But, that is true for any basement, not just one with sleeping quarters. I got a free kit from the state.. old pic of dd's messy bedroom.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Assuming your master BR is on the ground floor, what would be the difference if the childrens bedrooms were in the basement or on the second floor? Yet if they were on the second floor no one would give it a second thought,,go figure.

Actually, with a walk out basement and egress windows it would ultimately be safer because the children would not have to jump off a roof in an emergency.

• worthy
    12 years ago

not all basements are dark, moist, caves full of cancer causing agents

I've been in too many 19th Century homes over the years where that's exactly what they are. And in enough nearly new homes where the odour of mould is overwhelming thanks to poor insulating practices and moisture control.

What's behind your walls that can make you sick. Photo: Building Science Corp.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

What is within your walls can and is making you far sicker...

Years ago when fuel was cheap and before synthetics were even available houses were drafty, but with the high rise in fuel prices and innovations in insulation and caulking systems our houses are no longer drafty, just the opposite, we are making them nearly air tight.

That is fantastic from the point of fuel economy but what are the long term health effects? First off, with air tight homes were are confronted with oxygen depletion, now add to that the fact that nearly everything in the house from the wall paint, carpet, furnishings and your clothing is made from synthetics that are continually offgassing and you have a nearly deadly mix.

Althought the media seemed to totally ignore it, the EPA published a study where they took air quality samples in 2000 homes throughout the USA and they found that in 80% of the homes the air was so bad that if it was in an industrial workplace the regulations would require all employees to wear respirators.

I gradutated high school in 1965 and last year at our class reunion one of our classmates, who is now a prominent cardio vascular surgeon noted that out of 307 kids in our class, and nearly 1400 in the school during our senior year, the school nurses records only recorded 2 children in the school with asthma...today nearly 40% of our children have asthma...

You don't suppose the epidemic increase in asthma has anything to do with the fact that our indoor environment is a soup of unnatural gasses and the fact that most children spend the major portion of their day indoors has anything to do with it?

• bjewell1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the input!
    Worthy - All of the things you suggested will definitely be covered.
    Red Lover - Your daughter's room is gorgeous. Our windows will be about the same size, so it's nice to see how bright and welcoming it can look.
    Lazypup - I agree, I would feel safer with them being in the basement than upstairs in a two story home.

• njannrosen
    12 years ago

I would be nervous about putting children in basement bedrooms that have outside entrances. First, I would worry about intruders, second I would worry about them sneaking out without my knowledge. If you must put them downstairs, I would have an alarm installed and have it armed to let you know whenever doors are opened.

• drewem
    11 years ago

If you are fine with it, then by all means go for it. Personally I would never do it, but it is all up to you. A playroom, sure. Maybe an occasional guest room. Why not make the upstairs bedrooms larger?

Also, for resale, bedrooms in the basement do not count. It may hurt your appraisal.

• nicoleternity
    11 years ago

with the previously mentioned

*egress windows or doors, CO and smoke dectectors, provision for radon mitigation where necessary and proper dehumidification*

plus an alarm system, this would seem more than fine to me.