Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonecarver

Insulation of Basement Ceilings

bonecarver
14 years ago

We just purchased our home, a ranch, we started doing some remodeling which told us the over all insulation of the home was lacking We wrapped the entire house in 1.5" foam board ( pink stuff) before putting up the siding.

We are now starting in the basement which is unheated, trying to do it correctly. 2" xps on the walls and in the rim, 1" on the floor all joints taped, as well as spray foam in the rim areas to help fill any voids.

My question now is the ceiling of the basement. Plans are to drywall it, but what about insulation? should it be faced or un-faced? does it matter as far moisture would be concerned?

Comments (10)

• worthy
    14 years ago

Insulation for what purpose? Sound transfer?

• bonecarver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Worthy, I guess that is the main question. I have no need to protect from sound transfer (it's just myself and my wife). Would there be a benefit to insulation or should I just drywall and be done?

• worthy
    14 years ago

You're drywalling the ceiling. And you're required to cover the XPS on the walls with a fire resistant covering--probably drywall, as that is the cheapest coating. So it is essentially conditioned space--probably warm just from the furnace and heat ducts likely there. Add some heat vents and don't insulate the ceiling.

• bonecarver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Worthy ! Not sure how often you have been or you are told but your input here has taught me a lot, and sent me out to search and learn more.

Many Thanks for your time and help.
    Curt

• soto
    14 years ago

Hi, Would you mind telling me the brands/manufacturers you used for the 1) xps board and 2) the spray foam?
    ALSO, I have to insulate one ceiling in my basement since that room sits below an outside screened-in porch (that has a roof). So it's unconditioned above. I have no idea how to insulate that ceiling.

• bonecarver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The XPS I believe was made by DOW but it is all covered now and I just plain do not remember for sure. The spray foam is fire retardant spray foam in cans, I think it was made by the same company that makes the great foam. They sell all this at the big box stores. Not sure what to tell you about insulating the ceiling, I am still learning myself and hesitate to give advice to others.

• worthy
    14 years ago

worthy said: Add some heat vents

I should have also included the often overlooked part of an HVAC system-- "low-level air returns."

I have no idea how to insulate that ceiling.

At least two inches of extruded polystyrene (XPS). Consider "polyiso" board if headroom is critical as it has a higher R Value per inch.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

If not for sound transmission, why do you want to insulate your basement ceiling?

I would also suggest that drywall on a basement ceiling is a bad idea. Sooner or later you will need access to mechanicals or want to run a new electrical circuit, television or network cable. I've seen any number of drywalled basement ceiling that needed to be ripped apart to find a water leak. At the very least, use some kind of suspended ceiling below existing mechanicals.

• worthy
    14 years ago

why do you want to insulate your basement ceiling?

I should have been clear that I was answering soto who said:

I have to insulate one ceiling in my basement since that room sits below an outside screened-in porch (that has a roof). So it's unconditioned above

• willicooper1
    13 years ago

Hey!!
    I know very well,What type of insulation goes into a basement is directly related to how the basement is used. If your basement is remaining unfinished and/or unheated, then insulation in the ceiling is sufficient.
    For added insulation, be sure to seal around wire and plumbing holes with expanding spray foam or caulk before installing the blanket insulation.
    If you have confusion ,you can consult best contractor too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Finishing Contractor