Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Cost

Posted by sab1979 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 18:02

I have a few questions and the people here seem very knowledgable.

I want to refinish one "playroom" in my basement that will be about 10 x 15 feet. The other basement space is not that usable. In the space listed above, the concrete to the joists is about 80-81 inches. I need to reroute a few water pipes (small finger width ones) and move the hot water heater. I also will need to have the electric work done. Lastly, the stairway from 1st floor to basement will be redone. I live in Boston by the way

I am wondering the approximate cost of all the following:
1. Plumbing (re-routing 2 pipes around the proposed room and moving the hot water heater about 10 feet)

2. Electric. Adding a few outlets and a few lights. A few lights are there already but may need to be re-done. Electric box is about 30 feet away.

3. "construction". Framing, drywall, insulation, and ceiling (dropped or drywall?)

4. Flooring. Water proofing (dry basement already), carpet padding, and berber carpet installed

Should I contact a contracted who can do it all, or should I hire people out myself. If the second option is what I should do, in what order should it be done? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Cost

The very first thing you need is to develop a written plan. All you need is a piece of graph paper, pencil and measuring tape. If you reach out to a contractor without something tangible for them to quote then you're at risk.

Most of the posters here are DIY'ers and therefor will not be able to provide accurate cost projections for you. Every market is different, and materials pricing changes almost daily. On a square foot basis I've seen comments from low teens to mid $40's. Your build-out does not seem complicated - most competent contractors could handle your job though they may sub-contract the plumbing and electric.

Here is the sequence, based on your post, that I would sugggest for undertaking your basement.

Plumbing - if the water heater is more than 5 years old, replace it now. And, install a drain pan below it in either case.

Insulaltion - XPS against exterior walls. Insulate interior walls following electrical.

Framing - including whatever the stairway requires.

HVAC - have hot and cold ducting as necessary connected to central heat.

Electric - including outlets and lights

Drywall, including taping and mudding

Drop ceiling if not already finished as drywall

Painting

Flooring

Hope this helps you get started. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here