Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement wall finishing/please read

Posted by seamer1 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 17:52

Our new place has a poured concrete wall. They used forms when they poured it that look like brick. Right now it is unfinished and is just the gray color. We want to finish out the basement and are unsure what to do with the walls. I would like to paint them to look like act6ual bricks, with grout lines and all. I know it will be a lot of work, but what else would you suggest for the walls? Th place where the forms met has a ridge, and it looks like the cement seeped out a bit while it was drying, so it kinda looks rough there. what would you do about that? Would a dremel take the edge off? I don't want to ruin the look of the wall, but that sticking out don't look so great either.
any tips will be appriciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement wall finishing/please read

A small portion of my basement wall (under the family room fireplace) is made of cinderblock. I painted it to look like brick, and it looks really cool. It is a lot of work and masking tape for the grout lines. One suggestion: do not paint all the "bricks" the same color. I first painted them all the same color (Sherwin-Williams "fired brick") and it looked OK, but not really like a brick wall. After looking at real brick walls, I realized that no two bricks in a wall are quite the same color. So I mixed part of the leftover paint with some leftover dark brown paint, and painted over some random bricks with that. It really looks a lot better now, and gives a much better impression of a brick wall. If I were doing it again from scratch, I would get several containers, mix up varying ratios of the two colors, and just pick from them at random as I painted.

Before I painted the poured portion of the basement wall, I used a cold chisel to break off knobs of concrete that stuck out. You can find a cold chisel at any hardware store.

Alex

o

Without insualtion that is going to be a mighty cold room...

o

You will want to do some test patches to get your process and colors down pat. You will first want to paint the whole thing your desired "morter" color. You'll have to get all the way deep into the texture, so if a thick nap roller doesn't work, go to a brush or sprayer. After that coat ot two has dried, you can switch to a low to medium nap roller to cover the surfaces of the bricks in your "brick color". Finally, if desired, you can hit just the high spots of the bricks with a compatible color using a very low nap roller to give more color variation, like real brick. I haven't done mine, because its too darn much work for an uninsulated room, if you ask me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here