Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement apartment

Posted by chips4000 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 17:15

Previous owners converted a first floor - basement - to an apartment. It currently has 7 ft ceilings. We were thinking of removing the sheet rock and installing somekind of fireproof, insulation material between the rafters and the spray painting everything black to give it the illusion of highe ceilings. Does this kind of product exist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement apartment

To create an illusion of greater height in a ceiling, you paint the ceiling lighter than the walls and extend that lighter paint down six inches from the wall ceiling intersection.

What is the point of the insulation? If it's to add some soundproofing, it's not much use even when it's above the drywall; without the drywall it's no use at all.

o
RE: basement apartment

I regularly visit two basement units with 7 ceilings , one with finished ceiling while the other has everything exposed and painted white. They both seem low to me, but the exposed is much noisier (no soundproofing as you describe).

One other thing to consider are recessed lights. Sound travels through those things. That's one drawback to having installed them in our finished basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here