Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will tuck tape stick

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 16:54

I have a section between my wall and stair stringers where the best I can do is tapcon up pt 1 X 4s every 24 inches (on center) directly to the concrete wall and put DOW 1/2" blue board in between. I can then squeeze 3/8" drywall overtop. Should I tuck tape where the DOW XPS buts up against the pt 1 X 4s? Is that overkill? Will the tuct tape even stick to the wood? Some other tape? No tape at all?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will tuck tape stick

Tuck tape or acoustical sealant. The tape will stick to wood.

o

Well I never did find the darn acoustical sealant...ended up using rubber type caulk on my sill.

Darn HD and Lowes do not carry tuck tape by me.

They have Gorilla tape...any good.

I'd prefer to use tape; quicker...was hoping to finish off this wall but maybe I'll need to order on line....

o

Use builder's tape. Besides Tuck brand, Tyvek and 3M make builder's tape. Any lumberyard should have it. It's not an exotic specialty item.

Gorilla Tape is duct tape--which, of course, should never be used on ducts either.

I'm very surprised that the Big Boxes in your area don't have these items. They're right at the Contractor's desk in the HDs near me.

o

Tyvek brand by me (Chicago area).

o

I will stop at the contractors desk in case the guy I spoke with was mistaken...but I also looked and did not see it, nor TyVek....just varying degrees of Duct tape and that foil duct tape.

o

Check by the building materials / insulation. By me there is a Tyvek display with house wrap and tape. It is at the end of the insulation aisle.

o

This is rediculous. I had the gy at Lowes tell there was no such thing this morning and to use Duct Tape. The closest thing thay had was house wrap tape ...I think it mentioned for sheathing.

I stopped at the lumber yard...all the lumber is gone...I think they are out of business!

I will try HD one more time and then order it off the net....anyone know a good online shop that has tapcons and tape?

o

Found: Tyvek tape in the back of the HD store by house wrap. Its s 55 yd roll for $11. Hope this is the stuff because it does not look like a big roll; ie the tape must be thin...

If this is not the stuff I think I will just spray foam lightly where the XPS abuts the fur strip...whcih, looking back might have been easier anyway!

o

You got it!

I had the gy at Lowes tell there was no such thing this morning and to use Duct Tape

This guy?
Red Green Pictures, Images and Photos

o

that guy appears to have far more wisdom than the 'lumber' guy the stock girl called to answer my question!

...now so long as those 'Titen' tapcons are as good as the regular ones (that for some bizzare reason are no longer stocked in the size I need...then I am ready to frame when they arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PCS-1-4-x3-1-4-FH-Concrete-Masonry-Tapcon-Screws_W0QQitemZ180302184300QQcmdZViewItemQQptZNails_Screws_Fasteners?hash=item180302184300&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

o

I have never ordered anything from this company but they seem to carry all sizes of Tapcon screws. I found this site when I was looking for the available sizes of Tapcons.
http://www.confast.com/products/tapcon-concretescrew.aspx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here