Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating Walk-out basement

Posted by wingsred (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 16:29

Hello,

If at all possible, I'd like some assistance on how to insulate a walkout basement with foundation walls 50% above grade.

I've read through the Building Science recommendation of rigid foam being adhered to the foundation wall and if additional insulation is needed, adding unfaced butt insulation between the framing. However, I'm in unclear as to what the appropriate method is for walk-out basements since 50% of the foundation is above ground, which allows moisture to dry outward (above grade portion of foundation) as opposed to mostly inward (below grade).

Are there any suggestions or other references that anybody can point me toward?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating Walk-out basement

We didnt add insulation directly to the cement foundation, but just to the framed areas. Our basement is fine here in Georgia. We have a walk out basement.

o

I'm curious on this as well. We're in the framing stage of our new home with walkout basement. The uphill wall is 90% below grade, the side walls are 70% below grade, and, the rear wall is typical wood frame.

I've read the same comments on moisture lock, but am unclear if this is specifically for a submerged basement or does it apply to walkouts as well?

o

To add complexity to this issue, I reviewed my basement walls last night and they are far from a smooth, flat surface(poured concrete). Without some type of sanding I don't think it would be possible to properly attach foam board to the walls without gaps due to the uneven nature of the walls.

o

bump....

o

I used a grinder to smooth the foundation walls for rigid foam adhesion. 2x4 walls with unfaced batts were used behind the foam. I had Icynene sprayed around the entire rim joist perimeter area. I caulked and spray foamed all seams and penetrations in the basement. So far, I still have the fiberglass batt insulation in the rear framed wall that's above grade. I'm weighing the cost of other more air tight insulation options for that wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here