Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement egress issue

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 16:24

We have a bilko door in our basement. I want to wall in a 12 X 12 room around this door, my workroom. I will put either a 3' door or 4' bifold doors leading from this room to the finished portion of the basement. There wouldn't be any code issues with that would there? In other words, to get out of the basement through the bilko one would have to first pass through another door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement egress issue

Interesting question. As the linked discussion below says, the answer isn't clear. Perhaps an inspector would say the finished area needs its own egress.

There are no basement egress requirements here, so I haven't had to deal with this issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egress Solutions for Basement Living Space

o

Well, I guess in theory if left a 4 ' wide opening from finished space to unfinished that might satisfy the code...another reason removable bifolds may be the way to go...

o

This sounds like a gray area that might be subject to interpretation by the AHJ. A quick call to your local building department might save some headaches down the road.

o

Not sure if this helps, but the link below is a snapshot from the requirements in my area.

Egress Windows

o

bottom line we have a 36" steel door exiting up 6 steps to a bilko door.Essentially I want to enclose this door in its own room. 4' Bifolds will separate this room from the main area....I would think this has to be up to code...ifnot I could remove the bifolds....?

o

In most areas I've lived, the code requirements for basement egress are based on use of space. Direct egress is required only from rooms in which people will be sleeping.

o

It wouldn't be an issue in my town as long as the room could not be used as a bedroom (no closet allowed).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here