Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stair railing help please

Posted by mahnrut (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 16:20

We want to put a stair rail down our basement stairs into a semi finished part of it housing the laundry room and a passage to the garage.

We would like to continue the rail down the wall to the bottom incorporating the area where the stairs are open. Any ideas of the structure needed for that bottom bit welcome particularly as you will see from the pictures there are iron beams (red in picture)above and beside the wall in that area. (Although the other wall goes to the bottom of the stairs, at the top there is a box covering the back of a hall radiator which protrudes into the stairwell so a rail along that is not possible) Thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of stairwell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stair railing help please

It's not different than any other staircase. What railings and how you anchor them depends on how fancy you want to make it.

Since the rest of the area is semi-finished, I'd probably use a 4x4 post with two carriage bolts through the side of the stringer and a 2x4 (6 or 8) from the post to the studs on the wall alongside the stairs. Strengthen the stringers by laying a 2x6 flat on the floor between the stringers at the bottom. Depending on how it lines up, you could attach the railing into the side of the post, use a hanger or just screw it in. Balusters may not be required.

For totally finished basements, here's how I do it:

Photobucket

o

Worthy. Thanks a lot for answering. Seems like it would be doable although as you will see from the pics we have a metal beam where you assume there is a wall stud "Put a 2x4 (6 or 8) from the post to the studs on the wall alongside the stairs".

o

you will see from the pics we have a metal beam where you assume there is a wall stud

I'm referring to the wall, which will at some point be framed with studs (vertical).
You might want to run the railing right to the top of the stairs, whether you use dimensional lumber (2x 4 etc) or a handrail on brackets. This house looks like it was built before codes required railings. You'll know their importance once you've taken a spill! Or age.

(My first home had 10 foot ceilings and stairs to the second floor along a wall. No railings. No half wall. I lived there seven years in my sure-footed 20s and thought it looked cool. I always wondered why houseguests walked up hugging the wall.)

o

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, 1930s house. We are in our early 70s and can still run up and down these stairs but a neighbor fell down his basement stairs and has a brain injury so we thought of ours!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here