Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
constructing a home wet bar

Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 06 at 16:10

I want to install a wat bar in my basement to top off my total remodel project. I cant seem to find much info on this subject. I was going to build a glass block bar with granite top. This was going to match a glass block wall in the basement and my fireplace is a dark granite. The wife decided it would not look right. So I started looking at prefab bars in the internet and most seem small and expensive. I want the bar about 8 feet long so it will seat 4 comfortably. So now im thinking some how make my own using some cabinets as a low base and get a formica top with sink and have an upper top with the matching granite that I used on my fireplace. I would then build a L-shaped wall in front of the cabinets using 2x4 studs and a finishing plywood over that with some nice trim. Unfortunatly my father who is the carpenter is down in Florida til April. Does my plan sound ok?I am looking for good ideas and maybee even pictures if any one has any. I am not very creative and have a hard time picturing how things will look in my head.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: constructing a home wet bar

I did exactly what I think you are talking about. I can post some pics tonight hopefully. basically, I built an L-shape wall at bar height and covered the front with drywall and then unfinished paneling. I actually installed wall cabinets inside the "L" on a stud frame just high enough to allow toe access. A base cabinet would have been too deep and too high for a bartender's working surface behind a bar. I then had countertop made for the lower and upper areas, added a chrome elbow rail, finished the cabinets and paneling. You should be able to do the same even going a little higher end than I did with materials. I have also seen it done where just the portion of the L-wall between the lower working surface and the bar surface was glass block. Don't forget to have electrical outlets. My sink is actually behind the bar on a wall instead of in the bar unit itself but I had some very challenging space and plumbing limits to deal with that dictated that.

o

I would like to see your pictures logicalone!

o

Logicalone,

I would love to see pictures.

Mark

o

took these too fast but you get the idea.
[IMG]http://www.photopile.com/photos/logical/garage/240360.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.photopile.com/photos/logical/garage/240359.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.photopile.com/photos/logical/garage/240358.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.photopile.com/photos/logical/garage/240357.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.photopile.com/photos/logical/garage/240356.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.photopile.com/photos/logical/garage/240361.jpg[/IMG]

o
RE: pictures

I didn't do that right...lets try again

o

That looks great! I hope mine turns out that good. My problem is I am not very imaginative. I have a heard time picturing how the finished progect will turn out.

Mark

o

Just wondering what size cabinets you used as a base? Or what the height was from floor to first counter top?counteI was goig to use standard base cabinets for my wet bar but did not think that the they would probly be to tall.

Mark

o

They are 24" wall cabinets set about 6" off the floor, so the lower counter is about 31" high. The bar itself is a standard bar height of 42". The trick is to work outside-in....decide on the size of the bar top, that determines the stud wall dimensions and the cabinets are set flush with the end of the short wall.

o

Very nice and great explaination. I assume (excluding the top counter) the overall depth is about 28.5" obtained as follows: 3.5" stud wall + 2*0.5" dry wall + 24" cabinet. With the top counter I guessing ther is a 6" over hang for the seats so the entire depth with top counter is about 34.5".
Close?

o

Not exactly imazman. The lower cabinets are 24 high and just a standard 12 deep. They are not set all the way against the stud wall...maybe 4 inches gap, so the lower counter is about 17 deep (w/1 inch overhang).

The upper bar top overhangs the wall about 9 inches on the seating side (plus the chrome rail) and about 4 inches on the bartenders's side, so it's about 18 inches deep. The short leg of the top is about 31 inches (17 - 4 + 18).

o
RE: sketch

top view showing where wall is under bar top, thinner line is lower counter.

o

How long is the bar? I would like to fit 4 chairs like yours. I am trying to figure out where the flooring should shift from the laminate under the bar to the carpet but i have to figure out how big the bar can be with my space. Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here