Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidhorn

Want poured but builder wants concrete blocks

kidhorn
12 years ago

Long story short. I'm getting a 24'x16 room addition that consists of a 6' below grade basement and a family room above it. I was under the impression I was going to get a poured basement wall. Builder says he has to put in a cinder block wall because the location is difficult to get to. I want a poured wall.

The location is behind my house and the closest a cement truck can get to it is probably about 50'. Maybe 40' if the driver is a little daring. All flat terrain. Is this reasonably accessable for a pour?

My hunch is the builder is just trying to save a few hundred bucks.

Comments (9)

• worthy
    12 years ago

Concrete blocks are often preferred by architects and engineers over poured concrete. They have greater compression strength than poured walls and there's less likelihood of variation due to plant and contractor errors/short-cuts.

On the other hand, they do have less lateral strength than poured concrete and skilled blocklayers are needed. In our booming market, where speed is necessary and labour is dear, poured is the overwhelming choice.

Is 40-50 feet accessible for a pour? Sure, with a pump truck.

Concrete pump truck boom can easily reach 40-50 feet. Photo: Heather Joy Investments Ltd.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Concrete blocks are often preferred by architects and engineers over poured concrete. They have greater compression strength than poured walls and there's less likelihood of variation due to plant and contractor errors/short-cuts.

On the other hand, they do have less lateral strength than poured concrete and skilled blocklayers are needed. In our booming market, where speed is necessary and labour is dear, poured is the overwhelming choice.

Is 40-50 feet accessible for a pour? Sure, with a pump truck.

Concrete pump truck boom can easily reach 40-50 feet. Photo: Heather Joy Investments Ltd.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

The pump trucks work fantastic but it would probably double your cost....LOL

• User
    12 years ago

Depends on what you intend to use the basement space for.
    Every seam between every block is a potential leak.
    Does your contract specify what type of foundation?

• worthy
    12 years ago

but it would probably double your cost....LOL

I don't know where you're building. But at a typical Canada/US $500-$750 minimum charge for four hours (includes travel time) vs. the extra labour for wheelbarrow work, it's usually a bargain.

Every seam between every block is a potential leak.

{{gwi:1381983}}
    Dimple Membrane Waterproofing Photo: Mason Contractors Association of America

As is every settlement crack in a poured wall. In any case, a dimple waterproofing membrane, standard practice in some areas, equalizes the leak potential between the two types of walls.

The photo in my first post (sorry about the double!) is of a small boom truck. You can easily get trucks with up to 140 feet of horizontal reach.

• bobbymac
    12 years ago

What are the soil conditions like? In expansive clay soils, blocks are a no no. I hired a pump truck for about 12 yards of concrete and it cost $500.

• worthy
    12 years ago

In expansive clay soils, blocks are a no no

Expansive clay can cause havoc to any type of foundation. That's why foundations/slabs/piers and the type of backfill used should be designed or reviewed by experts in your locality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Expansive Clay and Foundations

• kidhorn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The contract says poured, but the blueprints say poured\cmu block. I know I can stick the contract to them and force a poured foundation, but they've given me a few breaks on other things so I don't want to resort to that.

The blocks will have some rebar and the cells that have rebar and the cells that are under a primary load bearing member will be filled. The outside will be parged with concrete.

Their reasoning is this is how my existing foundation is constructed so the new walls be no worse than what I have now. My house is 30 years old and it does't make sense to make the new foundation last a lot longer than the current one.

My soil is mixture of clay and silt.

My house is at the top of a hill and I've never had leakage in my basement.

The guy across the street from me has his own concrete business and says poured is better, but i'll be OK either way.