Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting over a sticky concrete floor?

Posted by elenal (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 15:26

Hi: My DH and I have just ripped up decades of linoleum in our basement. We're now down to the concrete, and we want to paint the concrete floor--nothing fancy--we just want the basement to look clean and fresh. We burned and scaped off the final layer of the linoleum and now have a sort of sticky (adhesive residue), somewhat bumpy concrete floor.
We're thinking that the paint won't adhere well to the floor (I don't mind the bumps), and I am worried that the paint will chip, bubble and generally rub off the concrete floor if we paint it in its current state. I really, really don't want to sandblast the floor bec. of the dust and expense. Does anyone have suggestions--is there some super solvent that we can pour on to get the concrete into paintable shape? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting over a sticky concrete floor?

I dont know anything about solvents, but if you dont mind the bumps, how about painting a small section and see if the paint adhered to the adhesive? If it does, you can just do the rest of the floor.

I just painted my concrete floor (it was in good shape)and I painted over some latex primer drips and some wood chips that had adhered to the floor with the primer. Concrete paint seems to adhere to both the wood chips and the latex primer drops ok. I used Drylok.

o

Thanks so much--I appreciate the suggestion, and will give it a try this weekend. Just to be clear, did you use Drylok as a primer (or, as a kind of pre-primer). Thanks.

o

I used the drylok paint. First coat is thinned with water (per label) second coat is full strength. Pretty easy job and makes a big difference. Good luck

o

Thanks so much--we'll give that a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here