Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Footing drains and downspouts

Posted by uncledave_ct (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 06 at 15:23

Last year, we had 2 instances where water was backing up into our basement after heavy rains (once was after it rained for 10 days straight). In the basement, I could hear the water rushing through the pipes outside the basement wall, down to the footing level. Suspecting that the downspouts might be connected to the footing drain, I went to town hall and looked at the original plans.

What I found confirmed my suspicions. Basically, every time it rained, my footing drain was required to handle not only any ground water that reached it, but all the runoff from my roof! The drain runs approximately 180 feet then exits to daylight, through a single 4" pipe. Water was literally gushing from this pipe for 2 days after the rain stopped.

So, why would they do something so dumb? Everything I've read warns against doing this. Common sense says all kinds of crap would get into the drain, such as granules from the shingles, leaves, pine needles, and who knows what other gunk. Not to mention dumping this much water next to the footings, if there's a leak, could undermine the foundation.

I've capped the downspout 'collectors' and run the spouts 10' above ground; but how would I find out if there is damage to the footing drains?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Footing drains and downspouts

If they drain clear water at the outlet there is unlikely to be a problem.

o
RE: Footing drains and downspouts

Thanks Brickeyee. The water is/was indeed clear. The backing up only occurred once after a quick thaw (12+" snow melting in one afternoon), and again after the aforementioned deluge. Apparently it's able to handle a moderate rainfall. Anyway, I've separated downspouts form the footing drains; I'll see what happens come spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here