Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaks from Basement Ceiling

Posted by river497 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 15:11

Due to a recent heatwave, many inches of snow melted very quickly on our front and back porches. While in the basement, I noticed two leaks dripping down from the ceiling, forming shallow puddles on the basement floor. The dehumidifier there dried things up pretty quickly, but I noticed the support beams in the basement were damp, and one is rotted as if this has gone on for years (we moved into the 1885 home within the past year). Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this water from leaking from the outside of the home into our basement? It seems to only happen in extreme cases as I've cited above. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaks from Basement Ceiling

First and foremost, you need to check the grading. Make sure it slopes away from the house.

o
RE: Leaks from Basement Ceiling

in addition check the gutters, downspouts - that is a typical culprit -
gutters should be cleaned out 1-2x/yr be capable of holding downpours - and leaders should end going away from foundation
Large plantings near foundation may attract moisture as well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here