Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XPS Insulation Questions

Posted by mtuskum (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 14:24

Hello All, I am just starting to finish off a smaller basement and have searched and read a great deal on here about XPS. Yesterday I bought all the 1.5" board I am going to need. I plan to install this, then a 2x4 stud wall tight to it with unfaced FG in the stud wall. A couple questions though.

1. I see on the Building Science literature they recommend XPS on the inside of the rim joist if it is not installed on the exterior. Is this something that can make or break the project? The builder has unfaced FG insulation in there now.

2. I bought Tyvek tape to seal the seams panel to panel, and some Loc-tite for adhering to the wall. My question is what is appropriate to seal between the top and bottom of the panel and the concrete? I bought expanding foam, but I have heard people say caulk on this forum. If anyone can give a specific product recommendation, that would be appreciated.

Thanks alot for any responses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XPS Insulation Questions

I'd replace the fg with the XPS; in some jurisdictions, fg is evidently not acceptable on the rims.

Caulking or foam to prevent block air movement. I prefer foam as it fills the voids better and insulates at the same time. Also, be sure to place the wall plates on a strip of XPS; this prevents vapour movement into the wood and keeps the wood and drywall above any future minor flooding.

o

Worthy, thanks for posting, I have read a lot of your replies and you seem to know your stuff. I was thinking the spray foam was best, but just wanted to make sure it would make a good seal between the concrete and panel.

Reading your link, it seems like the best way to do the rim joist is to cut a piece of XPS that will fit up in there and foam it all the way around. I imagine I will just reuse the FG and throw it back up.

After reading your other posts on the bottom plate, I was planning on doing the XPS underneath that already. Thanks for the reply

o

Why can't you use fg on the rim? My town requires it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here