Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

So glad we didn't use laminate in the basement!

fluffybutt
14 years ago

We have been trying to come up with our basement flooring. We went from the staining idea to being fairly set on laminate. Then I started doing a little more researching and got concerned about the fact that moisture can destroy laminate. DH said, "We haven't had any moisture problems in the three years we've lived here, we have no sump pump, did the moisture test--it will be fine, it's a walk out basement." Well in the end, the laminate idea got nixed and we decided to go with tile.

Now to the other day.....we've had a lot of rain lately and what do you think we got in our basement? Water leaking in through on the floor! Had we laid laminate like we were going to, we would not have known about the moisture, would probably have started to get mold in the laminate and it probably would have buckled or fell apart over time.

So if you are thinking about laminate for your basement, I'm letting you know my story. Not sure a moisture barrier would have really helped, but I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH