Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Precast concrete wall panels for basement, pros and cons ???

Posted by gardengirl_nancy (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 08 at 13:37

My Husband and I were at a Home Show last weekend. We were impressed with a display of precast concrete wall panels for basement walls. These were made of 5000 PSI concrete, with insulation on interior side. Has anyone used these for their basement? If so what do you think? Any contractors using this system?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Precast concrete wall panels for basement, pros and cons ???

We have Superior Walls. Completely satisfied with our basement.

o

If I was to build a new home I would use the precast concrete panels for the basement walls. They are waterproof, insulated, made more precise than a poured in place basement. They go up a lot faster, no worry on the weather. Once the walls are set and the floor is poured to tie the walls together, you are ready to build the house or set a modular. IMO it's the future of foundations.

Here is a link that might be useful: superior walls

o

Let me put it another way, search the internet looking for negative comments about Superior Walls. I have not found any.

o

One "con" is that you cannot backfill until the floor is framed. This ~could~ result in extra charges from the excavator for a return trip and likely extra charges from the framers for having to use a plank to walk up until the floor is framed and the overdig is backfilled.

This isn't a "con" in that the system is poor, rather it just requires a little re-order/work-around in the early stages of the build.

o

With Superior Walls, both the floor slab and the deck must be properly constructed and the deck properly secured to the foundation before backfilling. It is crucial. I know that some builders do backfill other type foundations either partially or completely and then start building the house structure. Such a builder would be ordered off my property. Collapse of the walls is highly probable with that practice. For my house, a block foundation would not be backfilled until the roof was on the house. The weight helps prevent the blocks from buckling inward.

o

Bus driver,

You are right on. Thinking back a few years ago, a friend of mine had a modular set on a poured concrete basement foundation and they didn't backfill until the house was set. The soil in that area is mostly clay and it probably would have buckled the walls if it rained and the foundation was backfilled before the house was set. This house was a Unibuilt cape cod which he added on 2 rooms to the basic structure after it was set. Nice house and huge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here