Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtp7878

Waterproof laminate wood flooring

mtp7878
12 years ago

Planning to finish my basement. Was going to use dri-core . But I found this laminate wood waterproof flooring. Has anyone used it yet? Do you get some sort of a thermal break on a concrete slab?

Is their one company that makes a better product than others ?

Comments (8)

• worthy
    12 years ago

Aqua Step from UniClic, the inventor of waterproof laminate, is claimed to have a water absorbency rate of 0% , can be laid over fresh concrete and requires no vapour barrier.

However, I have no personal experience with waterproof laminates.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Mannington ICore is another brand, but it requires a minimum 6 mil poly underlay.

• raj555000
    12 years ago

Do you need flood resistance, moisture resistance, thermal break or all of the above?

• mtp7878
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses,

I am interested in this product for a thermal break and moisture resistance. I do not have a flooding or water issue in the basement.

I was also interested in keeping max. ceiling height.

I have a friend who laid down a normal laminate on a concrete slad using a vapor barrier and the floor is starting to buckle and warp.

I think the AQUASTEP looks very promising, Like the poster above its not avail. in the U.S yet.

• worthy
    12 years ago

I have a friend who laid down a normal laminate on a concrete slad using a vapor barrier and the floor is starting to buckle and warp.

Unfortunately, some manufacturers recommend that method, though hedging their instructions to cover liability, requiring, for instance, humidity level tests and warnings not to use on any floor that has a sump pump or floor drain.

• lovetogarden
    12 years ago

I made the mistake of using what was supposed to be waterproof laminate flooring in a mud kitchen. Within a year it looked like hell, plus it started to buckle in spots. I've since put down slate for that room. Have you looked into vinyl plank flooring? It's supposed to be guarenteed to be waterproof.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    12 years ago

We have "normal laminate" flooring in our basement. But, we built an insulated sub-floor over the concrete. That was 1 1/2 years ago and so far so good.