Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement egress

Posted by cocooner (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 13:20

How interesting that there is now a forum just for basements. I just wanted to advise folks to consider the issue of basement egress when remodeling if they currently do not have outside access. There are codes that regulate this (do a search for basement egress international code) and you'll see the regulations that most places follow. The idea is for safety, that a person could get out, and a firefighter in, during an emergency without having to use the stairs.

cocooner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement egress

good point!

my Dh wants to put a garage door out of our basement - lol
no it will not be used for a garage space at all - we just made the space large enough for it - easier to move 'stuff' in and out and my DH is rather weird...

o

Ouch! That hurts! I just did the same thing, put a stairway from the basement out to the garage. The main reason is because my 'winter workshop' will be in the basement and the garage stairway will save the house stairway the wear and tear and DIRT that I seem to alway track in now!

Regarding egress, basements here require egress windows to the outside for bedrooms only. I have seen many spec homes built with huge basements but no egress windows for future bedrooms after someone moves in and finishes the basements. All in the name of saving a few dollars up front, I suppose.

o

We are planning on doing just this very thing in the house we just bought. Can anyone tell me if there has to be a window in every bedroom, or at least one window for the whole basement. We plan on putting two bedrooms down there. We are in indiana
Thank you

o

Each town within each state can have its own specific code. Best bet is to call the town and ask their requirements, since it is not one size fits all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here