Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radon testing a basement

Posted by loki791 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 13:14

Hi, I recently got a newsletter from the Environmental Protection Agency saying that last month was National Radon Month and that my home should be tested for radon. Apparently, it is recommended that you fix the home if the radon level is 4 picoCuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher. Can the radon be effectively and accurately tested with a take-home radon testing kit? These take home kits are cheap -- as low as $10, but I am a little skeptical of their accuracy. My instinct is to hire a professional home inspector to do the testing. Has anyone tried a home kit or a professional -- which one should I go with? How much would a professional charge? I guess I could also get him to inspect some other things while he's there. Oh, and has anyone found any radon being emitted from granite kitchen countertop? I heard that these could also have radon. Thanks very much for any recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radon testing a basement

These take home kits are cheap -- as low as $10, but I am a little skeptical of their accuracy.

Why?

o
RE: Radon testing a basement

I have two electronic detectors. We had one on the first floor and the other in the basement. You can see how it changes over time and the two locations. I can really see the effect of the radon fan when I turned it off the other day. It went from 1 to 7 in the basement pretty quick. The first floor was always pretty low so we don't use it anymore. This is like the ones we got: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siren-Series3-Radon-Detector/dp/B000CEAY64

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here