Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawolf_gw

Beaver system or SquidGee

pawolf
15 years ago

I need to do something about a basement water problem. It appears I have seepage. My basement is cement block walls. There is already a Beaver-type system in another area of the basement that seems to do the job -- the new seepage is in a different corner.

Going at it from the outside is not my first choice. Next to one wall of the corner (outside) is a cement sidewalk that is sloped away from the house. The other wall is a covered porch (cement slab), also sloped away from the house. But still the water is getting in.

The part of these two systems that somewhat bothers me is water in the block cores can sit up to the level of the weep holes I plan to drill. I was thinking of pumping something like 'sand mix' or 'self leveling' concrete into the cores through the weep holes up to the bottom of the weep hole to keep water from collecting and sitting until it drains away. Does this make sense, or would doing so lead to other issues? Thanks.

Paul

Comment (1)

• bus_driver
    15 years ago

Those fillers in the block cavities will not necessarily seal perfectly. Basically that are three ways to keep water from hindering the use of basement space. The first, and best, is move outside water away from the outside of the basement walls before it penetrates. The second is to seal the walls outside so that the basement becomes a pan sitting down in a pond of water- difficult to do, and often failing within short period of time. The third is to carry away water when-and-as it penetrates the wall. The interior drain systems do this. My Superior Walls foundation system uses that first approach. But a dehumidifier is still necessary to control interior atmospheric moisture.