Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Framing basement over radiant tubing

Posted by house_elf (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 10:52

We had radiant heat installed in our poured basement floor during construction. We are about ready to start the basement finishing process and have no idea how to locate the tubing in order to avoid it.
Our biggest fear is that the framer will pierce the tubing when he puts up the interior walls.
Is there a way to frame that doesn't require shooting nails into the plates and concrete floor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Framing basement over radiant tubing

I've found that the bottom plates can be secured with as little as 3/4" penetration. On a 6" slab that leaves plenty of safety room. (It's still unnerving!)

o

Forget fastening to the floor.Use a good glue like power grab heavy duty and you will not have any problems.Thats what I did and no problems after 3 years.

o

The wood must be held tight until the glue sets. How do you plan to do that?

Even LocTite's own advertising bumpf advises(Go to Demonstration) that Power Grab "reduces the need for screws" etc. not eliminates it.

o

Well I think your making it out to be harder then it is.JMO.

The bottom plate it held down by the glue and the pressure from the studs and top plate fastened against the floor joists.Mine has held without failure for 3 years now.Do what you want just trying to give another way of doing thing without possibly hitting tubing in floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here