Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Many Stairs and what did you do under them?

Posted by pattyt (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 7:45

Here is a picture of my stairs into the basement -
when you get to the bottom to the right there is a door into the kids playroom that runs to the back of the staircase where there will be a wall that runs ender the staircase even with the top step...
leaveing that space under the steps usable...

The basement will not have a door at the top of the steps - but rather be completely open - with railings to the first floor...

Depending on where we put the pool table there is a LOT of room down there...

so What did you put under your staircase - or intend to Pictures ??

Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Many Stairs and what did you do under them?

Storage closet with door.

o

We put a wet bar under our stairs.

Image hosting by Photobucket

We have a bar fridge underneath on the right.

Carrie

o

I like both of those ideas, but one suggestion, for the sake of looks, would be to do the little landing like Carrie did in the above picture, to break up the line of the stairs a bit.

o

we will do it with one step at the bottom ;)
I am starting to think out of the box - no reason we can't close the side in the picture and have it open to the kids playroom - with a cubbie unit for storage of toys, etc...
hmmmm....

o

A friend of mine enclosed the area under the stairs and then slipped in her extra refrigerator opposite the stair landing. It fit perfectly and keep it out of the way.

We have always enclosed this area and used it as closet storage but there is wasted space due to the incline of the stairs. But cubbies are a good idea and I love the wet bar.

o

A couple of houses ago, we had stairs that led straight down like yours and we did a built in entertainment unit for tv, vcr, etc.

o

The code in my area requires drywall on the underside of the stairs if the area is enclosed- even for storage.

o

We have our under-stairs finished off and use it to store the kids toys. They can throw all their junk in there and close the door and "poof" a clean room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here