Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulation Falling Down from ceiling

Posted by desj (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 6:29

When we moved in about 3 months ago, there were several areas that did not have insul, piled in a corner in basement. Since then more has fallen. Looks like a thin piece of metal holding up in some spots. Can I get this in HD? Or is there a better way to keep it up. I was thinking of using something??? that could be stapled up.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulation Falling Down from ceiling

Are the thin pieces of metal a springy wire? This is a common way to hold fiberglass batts up in place between floor joists, with the spring wire sprung as an arch between the joists. I can't remember the correct name for them right now, but someone will come along and post it. Yes, the big box stores sell them in boxes of a 100 or so. They usually hold quite well, maybe your joist spacing is a little wide and you need a wood shim tacked in place to give it more spring?

o

Thanks
Just thought there was an alternate since this doesn't seem to be doing the job.
Maybe we have a problem? Been in house for 4 months (5 yr old home.)
I imagine the wood could expand and contract. Previous owners did -0- to care for this house.

o

Yes, you can get them at the box store. Simpson makes some, and they're with their other metal framing products. They need to be about an inch longer than the span they're covering. I've used a bunch in my basement.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here