Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsg1998

Builder suggested not putting AC in basement - your thoughts?

Jen
14 years ago

Our builder suggested saving the cost of putting AC in the basement since people rarely use it anyway. I've never had a basement and am wondering if this is true that you don't really use it down there. I would appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Where do you live, will the basement be heated?

If there are heat vents in a forced air system, then you have air conditioning vents too. If your climate is one with humid summers then have return inlets in the basement to circulate the air and remove humidity. You may still need a dehumidifier.

After you move in, come back and discuss finishing the basement with us. Once you do that, you will use it.

Good luck with the build.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I don't have AC in the basement and my basement gets cold when it's running. Of course the basement is below ground so it is naturally insulated. Also, cold air sinks, so it seems to work its way down there. I have forced air heat / AC and live in the Mid-Atlantic area.

The bigger problem is getting enough AC to the upstairs.

• david_cary
    14 years ago

Ok - I'll give a counter story. I have a daylight basement in NC and it gets about 84 in the summer. Lots of windows contribute to the heat gain. It isn't unbearable since it is dehumidified.

This is insulated but unfinished space. I have sealed it up a lot since then but I expect it will need a bit of a/c. But a non-daylight basement should be fine or one a bit north of here...

• homebound
    14 years ago

Our ac guy had the same suggestion but we installed a register in each room (3) anyway. It was getting very cold down there since it was on the same zone as the first floor so we now keep those registers closed. Still, the return probably helps to keep the humidity down. This is in the Northern VA/DC area. (Unit is in the basement, below grade.)

• Michael Pellegrino
    7 years ago

It's strictly up to you... Basements are known to be cooler since you are below ground and in my case my basement is built within concrete walls...Why am I installing a in Wall A/C??? Because it adds lots of comfort for me since it eliminates humidity in the apartment..Of which causes my allergies to kick up a notch. Also it depends how hot your basement gets during the hottest months of the year

• PRO
    Beck Renovate and Remodel
    7 years ago

One concern I would have is if there is no air movement during either heating or cooling season there typically leads to musty and eventually condensation due to the humidity levels in each seasons.

• Vith
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

More concerning is no heat runs in the basement. If you have forced air heating with the AC then you should be heating the basement during heating season. I would install manual dampers on the basement runs and close them during the cooling season. This is what I have in my current setup.

If I cooled the basement during summer it would get uncomfortably cold.

• Troy Farwell
    6 years ago

We have AC in our entire house, and I wish I didn't have it in the basement. It gets cold down there in the summer, even when I close the HVAC vents. I would prefer only heat down there, as it always stays cool enough. I live in western Oregon.

• greenacresmama
    6 years ago

I am not sure about this but I have seen a type of circulating air unit that is suppose to act on it own like a electric heater or AC window unit.. but in the wall and switching air with above.