Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankdan_gw

Port or hole in poured concrete basement wall leaking

frankdan
12 years ago

I have poured concrete basement walls with an inside french drain. I have notice that in rain storms, the french drain channel in one part of the basement fills with water. I have not seen any water in the sump for the basement but in this one end of the basement the channel fills to the top and sometimes will run over onto the floor but just slightly. I did some cleaning out of the channel to help with the draining. In doing this, I discovered a formed hole in the wall that is about two inches in diameter. It just below the level of the poured concrete floor. Water is clearly leaking through this hole during significant rains. The problem started about a year ago and we've been in the house for 15 years. The hole looks as though it might have been placed intentionally. I was going to fill it with hydraulic cement but then I started to wonder if it was there for some purpose or whether they just forgot to fill it when they finished the house. I did notice that there are a few other similar holes in some other sections of the basement but none of those holes are leaking water. Anyone ever find such holes (looks like they were formed with a 2 inch pipe then the pipe was removed after the concrete set up-- they are perfectly round)? You think it is safe to grout over the hole without causing some other type of problem??

Comments (3)