Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
odd hole developing in cement floor

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 22:32

Hi--I had noticed over the past, maybe year or so, a small spot on the cement floor of my 70-year old basement. It always looked like a wet spot--about the size of a nickel--and I assumed that it was a stain, it didn't change when I swept the floor, and never paid much attention. If it hadn't been close to the litter box I never would have noticed it.
Today I noticed that it was larger,now about the size of a quarter, and looked like there was something there--I scraped it and the cement was soft and crumbling. seemed damp ( hard to say, maybe it was just cold) and easily gouged out! so now I have a hole in the cement floor, or would have if I kept digging!

What could be going on here? This spot is about 4 feet away from the floor drain, and probably also 4 feet away from the exterior wall. I have had the interior perimeter drains redone many years ago and a sump pump which is working. The basement has been dry since that work was done.

What sort of contractor do I need for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: odd hole developing in cement floor

Sounds like you had a hole there and it was patched up with something. you could go to your local hardware store and buy hydrolic cement, mix it up and patch the hole. That should take care of it for you. Hope this works

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here