Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Build bar or tile floor first?

Posted by ryanmcl (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 22:21

I'm going to be building a bar in my basement and plan to put tile direct on the slab. Should i tile first and then build the bar on top or do the bar first?

not sure if it matters but the area to be tiled is approx 300 sq ft.

Here is the floor plan:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/123277122/...v20-Sh3d-FINAL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Build bar or tile floor first?

Very nice basement plan. It really can be done either way, when my husband built our home he tiled first and put the cabinets over the tile, however I am already making plans for new "future down the road" flooring and wondering how that is going to work out with cabinets and quartz counter tops over the tile. If you never ever plan to remove the flooring then you can place your bar over the tile no problem. However a lot of builders tile up to the cabinets/bar. This saves on product and actually costs less in the end because you are not wasting product. Though because this is in a basement you might not want your wood bar directly on the concrete slab therefore putting tile down first might be the way to go. We are having the same talks right now about our future basement bar too. Knowing my husband he will lay the cabinets for the bar over the tile as it is less cuts and easier to do but costs more in the end.

o
RE: Build bar or tile floor first?

I believe it really depends on your type of bar. Mine is faced with glass block and it was necessary to attach them to the concrete floor. It's a permanent structure, can't ever be moved.

If you know exactly where your install(s) will be, anchor necessary 2 x 4's (pressure treated) onto the concrete. These will be used to secure cabinets or structures via screws through their side(s). Then install your tile, atop of which the cabinets can then be set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here