Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchammmer

1250sqft Basement heating question

MCHammmer
9 years ago

This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything done like this on the net. I am curious if I could install a ceiling mounted forced air gas heater "garage heater" in my basement? I really want to heat my completely unfinished basement for two reasons. 1) When is gets below freezing at night, my heat pump runs constantly and my aux heat comes on $$$ 2) It is mostly for my workout room and it pretty cool when I workout in the mornings. The basement walls are underground on three sides except the 1ft below the sill plates those are insulated with R-13 insulation and the walls are insulated with 1.5inch foam insulation, the open side has a walk out double door. The ceilings are engineered wood I-beams and are 11ft in height from basement slab floor. There are not options to run main floor HVAC in the basement as it is all ran through the attic. I understand that the unit will need to be vented similar to my current gas hot water heater. I have attached a picture of an example of what I am looking at. Is this crazy? dangerous? Are they only for garages with bay doors?

Thanks