Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement steps along concrete wall HELP

Posted by supturb89 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 21:05

Going to start finishing my basement in the next week. I live in Southwestern Illinois and plan on using 1" XPS on the walls and then stud/insulation/drywall over that. My question now turns to the staircase. The stairs are currently within about 1 inch of the concrete wall. The stringers, however, are right against the concrete wall. What are my options here? I'm thinking it's not a good idea to have the stringers against the wall how they are thinking it will draw moisture and lead to mold. The stairs as they are are 39" wide. Can someone give me some ideas? Thanks.

I have attached some photos.

Aaron

photo stairs1_zps666bdf61.jpg

photo stairs3_zps633a31eb.jpg

photo stairs4_zpsdab1b9ae.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement steps along concrete wall HELP

As long as you don't seal in the stringers with a polyethylene plastic barrier, they should be fine.

You might want to consider a mould resistant paperless drywall such as DensArmor Plus on the foundation wall next to the stairs.

o

Thanks for the reply Worthy. Do you not think XPS is needed on the wall next to the stairs?

o

XPS is needed on the wall next to the stairs?

Matter of priorities. Appearance or thermal efficiency?

If it's going to be a fully-finished basement, I would let that part of the wall go without. Otherwise, the drywall will hang over the stairs and will be next to impossible to trim neatly.

Working with older homes is a series of compromises!

BTW, an inexpensive low-pile commercial carpet will do wonders for that staircase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here