Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_f

Price of hanging and taping drywall

sandi_f
16 years ago

I am having my basement finished. It is all framed and ready for drywall. I am providing all supplies (ie. drywall, mud, tape, beadboard, screws, etc.). The estimate that I received was $3,200. Is this a fair price. Oh, I am in Delaware.

Comments (8)

• sandi_f
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops I fogot to mention. The square footage of the basement is 650. It is 99% framed. There is a small amount of frame work still left (boxing in a small window and boxing in a pipe), and insulation to be installed. Which I am providing the insulation, lumber, and nails.

• tom418
    16 years ago

Sandi: That sounds about right. Ten years ago, I finished a third-floor attic in my house. It was 740 sq feet. The cost was $2800 to me (I did the other work: electric, etc).

Adjusting for inflation, yours is right in-line with mine.

• jimrac
    16 years ago

I wholeheardtly disagree,,,,$3200 in in labor????

You have to be joking.

I just had my basement done,,,, in a high rent district of CT (high rent implying high costs)......22 foot by 16 foot; walls and ceilings. I had a smooth ceiling done. They supllied the drywall, snanding and clean up....

total..........$2,000

There was nothing fanbcy about the room,,,, had to cut in around 10-12 ceiling electrical boxes etc.... All in all, I was very pleased with their job, especially since the walls were 99% ready to go with priming and painting from my end..

Your price,,, highway robbery..

• chrisinnc
    16 years ago

I agree with jimrac. Get a few more quotes and someone should come in at half that for labor. Many will quote based on the number of pieces hung, regardless of whether they are 4x8 or 4x12 sheets. A good crew in Raleigh, NC that I know of charges $25 per sheet and could have yours hung with the first mudding done in a couple of hours.

• sandi_f
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So there is one price for hanging and finishing? The guy said that it was 20 to hang each sheet and 20 to finish.

• jimrac
    16 years ago

there are more than one roads to rome; one should come to same end result whether the price is calculated based upon per sheet, square footage or some other method....

ok, assume you want them to just hang it,,,,,$20 per sheet,,,,in essence, that costs $1,600 based upon his proposal...

I would love to have that hourly rate,,,given its maybe 3-4 hours of work...maybe a tad more..

• tom418
    16 years ago

To avoid confusion, the price I paid was $2800, including the sheetrock, delivered via a boom truck

• homeagain
    16 years ago

We finished a 1500 square foot basement, hung the drywall ourselves, but hired out the taping, mudding and sanding. We paid $1200 and the 1500 sft was divided into four rooms, a bathroom, large foyer and hall. All of the rooms had tray ceilings to accommodate for hvac vents, which made for a lot of corners.