Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basment heat

Posted by newbie21 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 20:05

I have a 1250 square foot unfinished basement. One half used as rec area with pool table, dart board, etc. The other half has four atv, boat and various junk. The coldest the basement gets is 55, I would like to put a little heat down there, doesn't have to be 75. Just something to knock off the chill. My initial thought was vent free propane wall heater but have some concern about the safety of that. What is my best option?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basment heat

I have the same thoughts about unvented heaters. If you go that route for certain have a CO detector functioning.

As to heating the space, your foundation walls are, in effect, a heat sink. The basement remains at 55 degrees because that is ground temperature. Heat goes to cold, so without anything to insulate those exterior walls it will be difficult to make the space comfortable.

If you have the standard basement windows, cover them with plastic to better seal them. That will at least reduce some draft.

Our basement is finished and when the furnace runs it warms to house temperature. We installed an electric fireplace for auxiliary heat, generally needed spring/fall when the thermostat isn't calling for heat in the house.

Hope this helps.

o

fnmroberts--What kind of flooring do you have in your basement?

o

ermachef - Just a vinyl 12 x 12 tile - with a not-slip surface. It is the self-stick type but I put down mastic because I didn't want that hollow sound where there are slight depressions in the concrete. No problems after about 8 years.

Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here