Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterproofing basement

Posted by Armistead14 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 20:05

Read many of the post. Bought a foreclosed home with basement, typical on the hill, but front and one side totally underground, other side has a retaining wall. It was obvious the old paneling had once flooded. The previous owner said he solved the problem by installing a baseboard system. He also installed plastic on walls behind paneling.

The slope is terrible and about even to the house, but the front yard slopes to the house. I noticed clear plastic was placed front of the house like under the beds/natural area extending about 5 feet into the yard. If anything this is collecting water, so I will fix the slopes. I was wondering if I got a decent slope away from the house, doe it help to lay plastic under the natural areas to force water away.

The previous said he had no water issues since his fixes and I've been remodeling for 4 months as I have time, we've had a lot of rain, sometimes large amounts for days and I've had no water in the basement.

My plan is to leave the baseboard system as is since it's there. I've watched during hard rains and see no or little water coming from the drain pipe that runs outside.....I plan to remove old panel and sheet plastic and apply dryloc on the walls to the base, assuming it was installed correctly. I pulled back one piece and see no coatings behind it. I will also install French drains, then fix the slopes....I hope this is enough. One thing I'm not sure about is I hear while dryloc may stop water, the buildup of pressure could cause wall failure in time...I'm hoping correct slope, drains and base system would be enough to stop that. I want to simply paint the block white, so thinking dryloc better than filler and paint.

The house was built in 71, interior walls seem fine, no bulging. From the outside it seems most the block was covered with some layer of thick cementitious coating, but much of it has popped and blistered. I guess when installing drains I should expose exterior block down a few feet and recoat with whatever is good...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterproofing basement

I will also install French drains

If I were excavating the perimeter down to the footings, which is where you install drains, I'd have a bituminous coating sprayed on, then covered with a bubble membrane and backfilled with free-flowing material, no clay. There are other excellent methods, too. Once you've done the proper job from the exterior, there's no need to use interior methods.

Belt and suspenders waterproofing: Blueskin self-adhered rubberized asphalt membrane supplemented by Delta membrane.

o
RE: Waterproofing basement

If you've never had any real flooding problems, perhaps you are getting carried away. Besides, until something floods it's hard to know where the water is coming from.

Fixing the grade is definitely a good idea. Did you check the gutters? I understand that is sometimes an easy fix.

Would it make sense to just dig a drainage ditch parallel to the house just above the house on the hill, add a drainage pipe or ditch directing the water down the hill, and fill it with gravel and/or a rain garden? Sort of a redneck french drain.

I understand there are complexities and mixed results with efforts to actually make your basement wall impermeable to water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here