Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stlblufan_gw

Water problems in new cinderblock basement

stlblufan
10 years ago

We are in the process of renovating a rowhome in Hoboken, NJ, which involves an extension. The basement, which will end up being a separate rental unit, was extended using blocks filled with concrete and a "KIM additive" which is supposed to make them waterproof.

We have not yet sheetrocked, and are having a lot of problems with leaks in the new portion of the basement. Our GC is telling us that this is due to the fact that they have not yet put gutters on and that the yard is improperly graded (true --- it basically results in a pool of water up against the new foundation).

However, I was under the impression that a brand new foundation should not leak, full stop. I have also attached a picture showing clear signs of efflorescence from the new foundation, and I do not understand how this could happen if the KIM additive is a waterproofer.

Am I overreacting? Is the GC correct that once the gutters are on and the yard is graded, I should not worry about the foundation? Any advice as to how to proceed / what to tell the GC to do would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)