Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement problem due to neighbor

Posted by glorifiedb (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 2, 07 at 19:20

I'm having seepage in our basement and I think I have it narrowed down to our neighbor. Basically, the water seeps in along one wall only. It's not a lot, but I definitely need to do something about it before I finish the basement. I checked during a heavy rain and the ground along the exterior wall was dry. We have fairly large overhangs in the roof and the downspouts are directed away from the house using those black plastic drain pipes.

Well, the neighbor's house is approximately 15 feet away from ours and sits a couple of feet higher. It's downspout is pointed directly at the basement wall that is seeping. I thought I would offer to reroute the spout away by using the plastic drain pipes again, but their gutters are pretty trashed and so water drips along the whole side of their house. As a result, I can't just redirect the downspout to solve the problem.

Any ideas on what I might be able to do to solve this? Is there some kind of barrier that I can install to prevent their water from seeping onto our property? I thought maybe a french drain near the property line to capture the water to a depth of about 3 to 4 feet. Would that be sufficient or would I need to go deeper?

If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I have spent way too much time this winter drying the basement.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement problem due to neighbor

You can try talking to them, but as a general rule you cannot direct water onto a neighbors property.
Natural runoff must be acceopted by a lower property, but the higher property cannot concentrate the flow or add to it.
Draining gutters onto someone else's land is not allowed.
From the counds of things you are not likely to get very far with someone who has clogged gutters. They are not very likely to care.
A letter from a lawyer can often help in these situations.

o

My mom is dealing with a similar issue with her neighbor. This is a urban home with zero lot line. The houses are pretty close together. My mom's downspouts are fed into a storm drain, but her neighbors is not. As a matter of fact one downspout extension is pointing towards her house!

Anyway, maybe you can see if your neighbor's downspout can be moved to a different location (away from your house). I had one moved on my last house because it was in the way of a new deck I was planning to build. I paid a handyman a $100 to do it. Just a thought. Good luck.

-jasper

o

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure if I want to go the lawyer route since I would have to prove that they are concentrating the flow of water onto my property which is not necessarily the case. They are just not draining it correctly and it ends up on my property.

As for relocating the downspout, that is an option but the problem is that the gutters are wrecked and the water drips along the whole length of the gutter. If I relocate the downspout, that will not really significantly reduce the amount of run-off.

Thanks for the tips though. Any others would be greatly appreciated.

o

How about calling the building codes dept for your county and asking if their directing water onto your property is legal and if not have the county write a letter requesting that it be corrected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here