Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oreiad_gw

Basement Carpet

oreiad
9 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking for help finding the right natural carpet/flooring for a radiant heated basement. I have been told due to moisture issues it is better not to use wool. Is there some other product that could work? I looked into Dupont Sorona but that still is only maybe 30% biopolymer. I was told at our local carpet vendor that we also would not be able to use the more natural everest carpet pad, but would have to use the enviro-step that uses urethane. Does anyone have any advice for a more natural, chemical free flooring option for a radiant heated basement? Or any opinions on which carpeting would allow for the least amount of voc, off-gassing, heating of plastic polymers. thanks!

Comments (3)

• worthy
    9 years ago

Consider stained concrete with non-toxic pigments, natural stone or ceramic. You can then use rugs that can be removed and regularly cleaned.

• limpinghome
    9 years ago

We have been working on our damp but seldom wet basement for several years, and have found the UGL CONCRETE PROTECTOR for indoor use to be extremely good. It is water based and goes on fast with roller and tray without a great deal of preparation, and seals out the grit, which was our biggest complaint, as well as condensation. We then put down a marine type carpet for boats from Lowes', which does not have a backing, very thin. It makes the basement look really nice, we did not glue it down and can roll it up and work more on any area that we need to. The only placed the sealant has not held are spots where we have efflorescense, need to wire brush those better and try again. (Can't use the etch as we can't flush the area.) We painted a couple of storage rooms with UGL concrete floor paint in Bamboo which is a nice taupe and matches our carpet, after patching cracks with UGL concrete patch or fast plug where needed. Couldn't be happier. They have an improved waterproof paint for walls now that is white instead of the older cream colored, also. We never get floodwater but may have some seepage if 6" in a few hours time, dehumidifier and fan, roll back the carpet in that area for while to dry. I can't say enough about their products and customer support.

• MonikaS77
    9 years ago

My home is also equipped with radiant heat floors, we had the same problem. We have a toddler and a baby who is crawling now. We wanted a natural choice and were concerned about the off gassing of carpet, but wanted a soft area for the baby to crawl upon. We have a wool carpet down and there have not been any moisture issues. The carpet is not dyed and has no fire retardants added to it (wool is naturally fire retardant). We have been very happy with our purchase. The adhesive which holds the wool to the backing is an all natural rubber from the rubber tree. We didn't have any problems with off gassing. The color pallet are of neutral tones, so if your looking for a vibrant color they may not be of your choosing. As far as a healthy alternative, we have been very satisfied. You can research Earth Weave Carpet