Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor vapor barrier

Posted by ironmaiden (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 15:42

I have been reading all the posts about basement floors for the last few weeks, but still can't figure it out!!! I have a concrete basement floor and would like to put either ceramic or rubber tiles (flexco) as a flooring surface. Which product should I use under the tiles? Dricore? Ditra? Can I use the rubber tiles at all or is it a no-no in the basement? Please, help as I am going crazy. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor vapor barrier

For either of those, I would apply directly to a clean, dry floor.

If ceramic, use versabond thinset mortar.

If rubber, I'd follow the flexco recommendations. (For below-grade, it's the 4th one down on their list:
http://www.flexcofloors.com/adhesives.asp)

I think dricore is best for folks who want carpet, in order to avoid water damage. You also get some added insulation 'warm to the foot" feel with dricore. Tile would probably crack over it. Rubber over it would be fine.

If ceiling height is an issue, I'd probably avoid the dricore.

One other thing to keep in mind - tile in basement is cold, and not for everybody.

Having gone through this same floor dilemma, we opted to paint our basement concrete floor a nice loud color, and use area rugs. Works great, but it's not the most "finished" look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here