Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

is it worth adding fg insulation

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

I started my basement last year. Its nothing fancy. I used 1.5" slotted XPS. In closet areas and my workroom area I applied drywall right to the xps securing it to the fur strips in the XPS slots. R value here should be about 8.5.

I have a section I framed in front of the XPS. At some point electrcial will be run. I have one other section to frame (12 X 20) consisting of an exterior wall that is has a sun room in front of it, an exterior wall that has a garage in front of it and an exterior wall the has the side of my house in front of it. In other words only the one side is really exposed to weather.

Question, Is it worth adding fg insulation between the studs taht were framed in front of the XPS. That should give me about R19 but I am not sure if that is just overkill.

That pink stuff always feels warm to the touch...is adding fg in front of it, in a basement, really doing anything?

FYI. The one seciton of basement pretty much has all the XPS up since last year. We also had a new heat pump put in and had one vent dropped in the is square approx 600 sq ft area. There is still no carpet or dropped ceiling in. Last year the the temps hit 58 degrees down there. I have yet to see it below 63 this year.

Comments (3)