Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove Masonry Nails?

Posted by andrewteg (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 5, 07 at 14:44

I have torn down moldy wall paneling in my basement and want to Drylok the walls but there are 100+ masonry nails in my basement wall from the paneling!

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove these or if it is safe and a good idea to just cut them off?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove Masonry Nails?

Sparky brittle things that rust. I'd hit em with a hand sledge to loosen them and probably yank em out with channel locks. Maybe try a little recking-bar/nail-puller if you have one. Be carefull of your eyes around those things, flying metal and concrete can ouch.

o

Often these are hardened, difficult to cut. But they break if hammered from the side. The nail usually still projects somewhat. Grinding them off is perhaps neatest, but does leave the stub in the wall.

o

As mentioned above, make sure that you wear eye protection. They are hardened steel and snap off and fly when you hit them. I once had a tiny piece of one pierce an artery in my arm.

o

Drive them sideways parallel to the width. A few taps on one side, then a few on the other.
This usually loosens them enough to put a pair of vide grips on them and use a wonder bar to pry against the vice grips to pull them out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here