Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crack injections

Posted by robsb123 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 14:40

Can anyone recommend an epoxy or polyurethane crack injection repair kit, that is reasonably priced? I have about a dozen cracks in my basement ranging from almost non visible to about 1/32" of an inch wide. Are these products worth the price? should they be left to professionals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crack injections

My last two homes, ironically both developed a crack in the basement wall. The builder used an injection method to repair. It worked great, I never had a problem. The last house I lived in for 9 years.
I can't say whether they used epoxy or polyurethane though?

o

For the cost of the materials alone, I found it worthwhile to just spend a bit more and hire the expert. I used a franchise outfit called "crack team" and was very pleased. Cost me about $2000 to have several cracks repaired. They used urethane, which is flexible and expands with the crack up to %50 of the width of the crack. You can also opt for epoxy for some cracks - I did so for just one crack. Typically epoxy is used for a more "structural" repair, but the downside with epoxy is that it will crack again if the joint is prone to any movement.

Another alternative would be to purchase urethane materials from a local basement waterproofing supply. If you do so, I strongly suggest buying a urethane kit with a dual cartridge gun. That way the water can be injected simultaneously to activate the urethane. Not all places will have the dual gun.

o

My husband and I used Crack-Pac Injection Epoxy by Simpson in our cracks in our basement floor (the product can also be used with a vertical application). The product worked great and was easy to use. We purchase it at a local commerical building store. It can also be ordered online. It has been 100% effective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here