Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combustion air

Posted by robsb123 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 13:42

My natural gas furnace and hot water heater are currently in my basement, that I am working on finishing. Right now they draw in combustion air from inside the basement and exhaust air through horizontal vents out of the back of the house. I want to frame the furnace and hot water heater inside of a utility room that is around 8'x8'.

1) Do I need to run pipes to bring in combustion air from the outside?

2) What size vents? They are both forced air vents. The furnace has a 2" PVC elbow stubbeed out for combustion air. The water heater has a 3" intake. They are both about 12' to 14' from the outside wall.

3) If I do need to run vents, are there regulations on how close the intake can be to the exhaust?

4) Would it be sufficient to just put some vents in the wall of the utility room, so that the furnace and water heater can draw air from the rest of the basement?

5) This is not really related but... Where can I find a good resource for sizing air ducts and air returns for my basement. The house is a two story with a full basement. There are about 700 sq ft per floor, w/ 8 ft cielings. I also plan to add a fireplace to the basement.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combustion air

I'm afraid your information needs may be beyond the knowledge of participants on this forum. You might ask over on the HVAC Forum to get specifics you need.

In general though, a louvered door will provide the combustion air for your furnace and water heater. You might want to get the BTU information from both appliances before posting over there. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here