Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Complete Basement Finishing

Posted by kaljr82 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 13:31

My wife and I are currently building a new house, and are having trouble determining a layout of the basement. It is somehwat awkwardly shape, and we really just are struggling to figure out what we want to do.

Based on the picture, we definitely want to two bedrooms on the end of the house that have the two large windows on the exposure. And we plan to wall off the area around the furnace and hot water heater and make it a storage area.

Otherwise we would also like to have:
1. Family/home theater room
2. Weightlifting/workout area
3. Bar area

the picture provided isn't great hopefully I can find an better file.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Complete Basement Finishing

If you haven't started yet, I'd suggest a couple of changes off the bat: 1) more windows-unless they're in window wells in which case, don't bother; 2) eliminate the posts. (At least, the one to the left of the staircase.) Completely unnecessary with steel beams. If it's too late for those changes, plan to incorporate the posts inside dividing walls or in closets.

If you're only planning one w.c., put it between the bedrooms. That way it provides sound buffering for the bedrooms and is also accessible to the rest of the basement.

As the bedroom space is firm, I'd run a hall down the middle with one room to the right for weights and one to the left as the family room. I'd put the bar area to the "north" of the stairs. Those are your three living areas. Depending on your lifestyle you may choose to allocate the uses differently.

I finish the basement in just about every home I build. But I never draw fixed plans until the space is complete--except for the w.c.s or kitchens for which you have to run drains under the concrete and stacks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here