Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Options for finishing basement stairs

Posted by raj555000 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 13:08

The existing stairs doing into the basement are ordinary basement stairs (about 10 steps, then plywood landing and then 2 more steps). The first riser from the top is about an inch higher than the others. All 10 treads have a nose and the last 2 after at the bottom after the landing dont have any. My contractor says the height differential will not pass building codes, especially since the one in my town is very strict and the best option is to carpet it so that the height difference gets reduced to within the tolerance of the code. What do you think? I was hoping to just paint or dark stain the stairs. What are my options?

Thanks,
RK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Options for finishing basement stairs

Have you looked into runners? The link below is a company with a huge variety. They also make stair treads. Not sure if stair treads would work in your situation. Ask your contractor.

There is also a company that makes custom runners out of New Zealand wool. A runner 33" wide x 27" feet (my basement stairs) runs about $1500. RugStudio's rugs are poly-something and much cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: RugStudio

o

Treads! I didn't think about that! Will look into thick treads that I could glue down.

For runner, I will still need to have padding underneath for the riser height differential and so the total install cost and maintenance are as much as complete carpeting.

Thanks,
RK

o

Home Centers will have stair treads in their millwork area. The ones I have seen are oak and about 3/4" thick. Check it out for certain, then recalculate individual steps with the added surface height.

If I interpret your original post correctly, it sounds like the steps are set up to accept treads. Obviously flooring for the landing and any treads will provide a nose for the two steps missing one.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here