Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet tiles over existing vinyl tiles?

Posted by re88 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 12:17

I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but does anyone have experience installing carpet tiles over an existing vinyl tile basement floor? And are carpet tiles a reasonable option to consider for a below-grade basement?

We have a basement that is generally dry (no water during Sandy) and wanted to warm it up with carpet tiles. But it does get humid down there; we run a dehumidifier all day during the summer months.

We don't want to remove the existing vinyl tile floor, which is in decent, but not great shape. Is there anything we need to watch out for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet tiles over existing vinyl tiles?

I'd think there would be a possibility of a mold/mildew issue at the base of outside walls. Moisture tends to seep in there and furniture will hide it until you start looking for the source of a musty odor.
I'd tend to go with a near-room-sized carpet, about 6" or so from the walls.
JMHO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here