Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgodfrey_gw

(Another) basement insulation question

jgodfrey
17 years ago

Hi All,

I've read most of the posts here regarding the various suggestions on basement insulation, but have an additional question...

First, my basic basement insulation plan...

1. Dry-loc the walls for moisture (done)

2. Fasten foam board sheets directly to the walls

3. Build a steel-studded wall (with CCA 2x4 beneath the lower track) against the foam-board.

4. Use standard, paper backed bats between the steel studs

5. Sheet rock over the studs, leaving the sheetrock an inch or two above floor level (to be covered with baseboard).

(No additional vapor barrier).

I know there are different schools of thought regarding the proper way to insulate a basement, and I know that at least a few people will tell me to avoid the fiberglass all together, but I haven't found any other way to "affordably" do this...

So, the first question. Does the above sound adequate for a general plan? Finally, the reason for the post...

Two of the concrete walls in my basement are the below-ground walls which are at the "front" and "side" of my garage (which is up one level from the basement). So, these walls aren't really "exterior" walls, as the earth behind them is beneath the garage floor. Is it necessary to insulate these walls to the extent of the true exterior walls? If not, what is the best way to handle these?

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

Comments (6)

• jgodfrey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Two additional things I should mention...

1. I'm near Kansas City, MO (I assume my climate may be an important part of the equation).
    2. I'm outside city limits, in a county with no building codes. So, while I'm not really forced to do anything a particular way, I'd like to do this as right as possible...

Thanks,

Jeff

• jgodfrey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Jeff

• woodinvirginia
    17 years ago

First off I live in the Mixed Humidity portion of Virginia and I am building an underground basement as we speak. Since Virginia is roughly on the same Latitude as Kansas I will answer. Don't know how long your basement walls had time to DRY out before you painted them, but I would have thought at least a years time since you built/acquire the house. (Builder friends of mine recommend that concrete (poured or block) be allowed to sit for 1 year before painting it; concrete takes a long time to cure; especially underground and with moisture present block walls attract it like a magnet; even if they are grouted!)
    2nd,How was house waterproofed outside? How thick is the coating ? Did you do it or a builder? Does it have Insulation on Exterior wall? How thick is it? Or is it just a slab with no vapor barrier or Insulation on EXTERIOR wall ?
    3rd I would recommend Green Board to be installed in the basement if you don't know the answer to the 2 questions above.... That way if you walls sweat ; even a little bit you will have moisture resistant Gypsum Board already in place.

Good Luck.

• jgodfrey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Regarding your questions...

1. The basement walls are poured concrete, and were left bare for about 5 years. I put a cement-based water-proofing substance on them about 4 years ago (the house is about 9 years old).

2. The house is waterproofed via exterior drain lines around the footing, and a waterproofing "tar" like substance on the exterior of all below-grade walls. There is no exterior wall insulation that I know of. Also, I have a standard poured concrete slab, with no vapor barrier (AFAIK).

3. Green board - yes, I already have it purchased and stored in my garage until I'm ready for it.

Thanks again.

Jeff

• homebound
    17 years ago

Don't forget to insulate & seal the rim joist area. On the inside, I installed 2" solid extruded foamboard, cut with a serrated bread knife). The I filled any remaining gaps & edges with canned foam insulation. (I'd avoid "Great Stuff" since the plattic nozzles break too easily - try to find an alternate.) BTW, you can use a long drywall screw w/ a cardboard "washer" to hold some of the pieces in place.

I read that it's not a good idea to stuff fiberglass insulation up there, since it will retain moisture and can cause damage over time.

I'm framing out our basement now, and have noticed a tremendous improvement. It's in the 30's outside, yet 60 in the basement today just from the furnace, boiler & water radiator line that supplies the floors above.

• homebound
    17 years ago

You could nix the greenboard and go get some Dens Armor Plus. No paper in that to worry about. You might want to search this website for more info on it. Some of the home depot's have it. That's what I'm planning on using for ours, qat least for the walls, since greenboard still has a paper facing to provide a mold food source.