Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chalifax

Concerns RE: finishing basement with corn stove heat

chalifax
17 years ago

Hi all. I'm new to the basement forum, but a longtime decorating member. From what I've seen, you all are quite knowledgable and very helpful. Here's my issue:

We heat our house primarily with a corn-burning stove in our currenly unfinished basement. Auxiliary heat is from our propane furnace. The corn stove we have simply blows heat into the basement space, and the heat rises to the main level of our house up the basement stairs, up a few cold air returns in the floor, and also simply up through the floor itself.

We are in the planning stages of the finish the basement project, and I would like to know if anyone has experience with the effects of accoustical ceiling tile on the transmission of heat from basements the main level. From what I could quickly gather, the panels only have an R-value of about 2, so that might not block too much heat, but I have concerns that we will end up with a hot basement and a cold house.

Anyone have experience with this? Anyone heat their main level with a stove and just let it rise to a second story? How well does that work? Does my heat mainly travel through the air returns and up the stairs?

Thanks in advance,

Carol

Comments (2)