Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerbabies

What is the cost of MillCreek flooring?

summerbabies
12 years ago

Hi, we just had our third flood in the basement--luckily, a fairly small one this time. We want to get rid of the carpeting, which is the cheap, ugly, builder grade stuff, anyway.

I found MillCreek flooring online, and it looks wonderful. We love hardwood, but it is not an option because of the occasional floods. Tile is cold and hard.

I called our local dealer, and they refused to give me a price per square foot over the phone. Free estimates are done only when somebody comes to the house. Having been through hell with aggressive window salesmen who ate up my time giving me a hard sell, I don't want another salesman droning on and on. All I want is the price, so we can decide if it is an option.

We have about 1300 square feet to cover in the basement. Total sq ft is 1742, but we'll leave the storage room floors concrete, and the bathroom is already done in tile.

Thank you!!

Comments (18)

• raj555000
    12 years ago

I had requested samples from one of their competitors and it was $5-$6 per sq ft of interlocking pieces. I don't recall the name of the company, it was a smaller NY based company.

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Raj, thank you so much! Somebody called me back, but they STILL would not give me even a ballpark price over the phone. I found the flooring for $1.84 a sq ft online, but don't know the cost of installation.

Is the $5-6/sq ft price including installation? It basically snaps together, no glue or nails. And, funnily enough, it can be dismantled and taken to a new location. Have floor, will travel :-)

I'm guessing whatever price I manage to pull out of this particular dealer will include a commission. I ordered a sample, and I'll ask our contractor about installation. If it's really that easy, DH and I can probably do it.

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

H'mmm...We'd be interested in the plastic top that looks like wood. Our hardwood floor guy has a MillCreek vendor, so we'll see what he says.

I did. The carpet squares are our back-up if the MillCreek is too expensive. Drawback is the very limited color selection (2 or 3) and rough texture.

Thank you so much for responding! It just really BUGS me when people are coy about pricing over the phone. Their costs are fixed: materials and labor. So what, exactly, necessitates someone coming to my house except to give me a hard sell? Uggghhh.

• raj555000
    12 years ago

These products are expensive and hence usually not the buyer's first choice. The sales people make the sale by scare the fence sitters with mold problems if you don't buy from them.

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"They can't scare me, I have children." :-)

Our basement is finished and has a media room, a wet bar, a play area, an office, and a bathroom. We use it a lot, so I want an attractive floor.

The online company sells a product that is exclusive to them. I'm going to wait until I get the samples before I make an appt with the local dealer. Then I can compare them side by side.

• raj555000
    12 years ago

Can you post the name/website of the company?

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, here it is:http://www.ifloor.com/millcreek

Here is a link that might be useful: Ifloor

• raj555000
    12 years ago

Are you sure that this MillCreek is the same one available from Total Basement Finishing? That's the premium product with the marketing hype. This one looks like a regular laminate floor, although it does say that it is made of synthetic materials (100%?).

Long story short, if this is indeed the premium MillCreek flooring that can withstand floods, I will be pulling my hair for not finding about this before I got porcelain tiles install. Otherwise, you are might as well install cheap 50 cent laminates from LumberLiquidators that you can throw away if there is a flood.

RK

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is NOT. This product is exclusive to Ifloor. I just spoke with a MillCreek dealer. MillCreek is $7 a square foot installed. So for my basement, that would be slightly over $9000.

I will be contacting Amy at Ifloor later to get more information about their product. Will check mail for samples. I was wondering about Lumber Liquidators myself.

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found this place, too. $5.89/sq ft. Go to the woodgrains page to see the red oak and bamboo. It sounds pretty good :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Place and Go basement flooring

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I called Ifloor and their MillCreek ia not waterproof. It has a backing of MDF. Bleah. But the vinyl is waterproof, and I was surprised! It comes in click-together planks! I ordered a sample of the Cherry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl that looks like wood

• raj555000
    12 years ago

I was going to get vinyl planks, but many of them need you keep the temperature above 55 degrees all the time after the installation. I had checked Armstrong. I think it has something to do with the glue and warping. Mine being a basement in the New England, I did not want to keep it heated all the time.

• summerbabies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

H'mm, thank you. These vinyl planks do not need glue, but I will check to see if there are any temperature requirements. We have central heating, so it's not an issue.

But my contractor said that anything that snaps together will allow water to seep. He says our hardwood guy has something with suction cups (?!) that you can just peel off the floor if there is a flood, then replace when dry.

• raj555000
    12 years ago

The new ones are not glued to the floor (eg Home Depot Allure), but they are still glued to each other. The overlapped portions have glue on them. These might be better than peel-and-stick glue down. In any case, vinyl cannot deal with floods, its just that you can easily replace them in case of one.

• 5star
    8 years ago

hello, I am not sure if any of you are still around and if summerbabies made a decision on flooring. I will be getting my basement finished this spring of 2016 and starting to search for the best flooring options. I do want the wood look that is water proof. Do you have any advice....thanks

• Douglas Morrisey
    6 years ago

I know this is an old post, but read up on the "Waterproof" vinyl tiles, because the marketing/details are misleading. These tiles are often only "waterproof" for a certain number of hours, and typically only from the top side (if water comes from below like in a basement and bottom gets wet: game over).

You want to look for products that specifically say they will not rot/warp/bend even when wet, those are the ones that are truly waterproof, however even with these, according to the manufacturer's people i've spoken to on the phone, if there is organic material between them and the floor, the organic material can still get moldy when wet, and cause an issue.

Best advice I've heard to date is to get one of the raised floor tile solutions, with tiles that won't rot/warp/bend when wet. This way, there is a gap between the basement floor and the flooring, which allows water to eventually dissipate/evaporate naturally without sticking around and causing mold problems.

I've been researching this, calling vendors/manufacturers, and spoke with the basement systems guys for a while before making this conclusion.

I have yet to re-finish my previously moldy/demolished basement, but will post results when completed (~few months).

I'm leaning towards these tiles if I can find them myself for a DIY installation: http://www.totalbasementfinishing.com/basement-finishing-system/basement-flooring/basement-floor-tile.html 

Closest products I've found are these:

http://www.greatmats.com/tiles/raised-floor-tiles-max.php#reviews

and

https://www.garageflooringinc.com/tiles/index.html?sl=3328&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=s|pcrid|46951353589|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|&gclid=CjwKEAjwpdnJBRC4hcTFtc6fwEkSJABwupNiWKlBwLSoBz5pP48S-fIOKgpCG6qjjhdr9y0n0zNT4xoCsEvw_wcB#!

• HU-776167779
    2 years ago

@douglas - did you ever find a source to buy the floor tiles from for DIY installation. I find myself in exactly the same boat you were in 3 years ago :)